Friday, April 20, 2012

Writing is easy. You just open a vein and bleed.

I'm doing a cross post today (because I'm tooo lazy to write another blog..hah)
For the past few weeks I’ve been in ‘edit’ mode. I recently sold my paranormal romance, Dark Obsession, to Adam’s Media’s new imprint Crimson Romance. Because I will be one of the launch authors, I had to jump into my edits and revisions in a timely manner. Which, for me, is soooo much easier than writing a full book. However, this time around, doing revisions before the actual edits were a bit more difficult because I had to cut the story by about fifteen thousand words (in order to meet their word count). That’s not easy to do when you’re as married to your words as I tend to be.

It took me about a week to get my head into it. I couldn’t just go in and cut a scene here or a scene there, because every scene in my story had a purpose (as it should). So, revisions became a bit of a rewrite. I not only had to cut scenes, I also had to redesign them and restructure what came after so it made sense. Thanks to my wonderful critique partners, who gave me some terrific suggestions, I was able to get through it without the need of a transfusion. :)

I turned the book in two days early of my deadline (yay me) and I have to say I’m pleased with the results. This was the second novel I’d written (many years ago) and I was as determined to see it published. It’s a great story (if I should say so myself) and I’m looking forward to sharing it with you all.

The book comes out June 4. Here’s a quick summary of what it’s about.
Ramon (Ray) Chavez, a 33 year old farmer from the Rio Grande Valley doesn’t believe in visions or omens or the mysticism of his Mexican/Indian heritage. When he’s awakened by the spirit of this great-grandmother with a message that something is coming, Ray passes it off as a bad dream. But he may just reconsider his position when he finds Lexie Solis stranded on the edge of town, in search of a new life. Ray feels an instant attraction, as well as a connection, to the s ittish young woman, and he pursues a relationship with her. But what Lexie doesn’t tell Ray or his family, is that she is on the run from an abusive ex-boyfriend and he may be more powerful than even she wants to believe. When Lexie is assaulted by an unseen force, they learn that the man she is hiding from is a master of the dark arts and his obsession with Lexie goes beyond his need to control her; he wants to possess her soul as well. As their past lives parallel, Lexie’s only hope for salvation is in Ray’s hands. But can he accept his destiny in time to save the woman he loves as well as his own life?

Within the next few weeks I'll be searching out reviews, sending to the various review sites and other readers. This novel, like many others, was a labor of love for me. I really love the characters and their story....in fact, I'm working on a follow up 'staring' the sister of Ray, so stay tuned for that as well.

1 comment:

Mirta E said...

Okay, I sent you an email. I am a reviewer/editor and I so want to read this one and write a review.

Looking forward to it...the setting is what caught my eye....

The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews